Outcomes & Pathways
Residential Care for Children with Learning Disabilities
Pathway Plans – Residential Care for Children with Learning Disabilities
Cameron House provides safe, structured and stimulating residential care for children with learning disabilities in the London Borough of Redbridge. Our care home is close to Romford, Woodford, Ilford, Barking and Chigwell. We offer the following services to ensure positive outcomes for all looked after children placed with us:
- A child centred therapeutic approach to care
- A key worker system
- Development of life skills
- Sensory integration
- Horticultural therapy/ Gardening project
- High ratios of qualified and experienced staff
- applied behaviour analysis (ABA)
All those using our Residential Care for Children service are supported to develop a positive self view, emotional resilience and sustain positive attachments.
We have clear aims for all of those who stay at Cameron House…
- Children and young people understand the importance of healthy lifestyles and take responsibility for their own health
- Children and young people improve their social skills
- Children and young people improve their communication skills and make choices using photos, PECS, gestures or signs
- Children’s views, wishes and feelings are regularly sought and taken into account in every aspect of their lives, having regard to their level of understanding.
- Children and young people develop independent life skills and confidence
- Children and young people benefit from stable placements, continuity in their relationships and a sense of belonging
- Children and young people access a wide range of experiences; they are actively and positively involved in activities in the community
- Children and young people are supported to spend quality time with their families and celebrate special occasions so that essential links are maintained with those they are close to
- Children and young people have a positive sense of well-being that enables them to thrive at home and in school.
The educational achievement of everyone is maximised and promoted…
Our in-house occupational therapist works to promote, maintain, and develop the skills needed by young people to be functional at home, in a school setting and beyond. Active participation in life promotes:
- social interaction.
Our Occupational Therapist uses a holistic approach in planning programmes. She takes into account the physical, social, emotional, sensory and cognitive abilities and needs of children and young people. She currently leads the Outcome-based life skills programme where she sets monthly targets for young people to develop independent life skills and self-help skills. When young people achieve their targets, this is celebrated through “Well-done Certificates”.
Progress, however small, is always recognised and celebrated at Cameron House. The Occupational Therapist works to develop skills for handwriting, fine motor skills and assesses and targets the young people’s sensory processing disorders. This is beneficial to help improve their overall behaviour, remove barriers to learning and help the young people become calmer and more focused.
Enjoyment and achievement within our residential care for children…
At Cameron House we aim for all children in placement to be happy, healthy and fulfilled. Our service goes beyond the essential residential care for children. We aim for children to be as independent, resilient and determined as possible. In order to achieve that young people are actively and positively involved in activities in the community, as well as indoor activities. These activities are recorded in the Enjoyment and Achievement File in the form of photographs with a short explanation of the purpose of the activity and comments on young people’s response and achievement.
Young people are supported to learn new life skills and develop their communication through Key work sessions which are also recorded in the same pictorial format. Play therapy, speech and language therapy and music therapy also enhance young people’s experiences and attainments at the home. As you can see, we really care about the development of the children at Cameron House. Learn more about the team at Cameron House.
For more information about our Residential Care for Children service in the London Borough of Redbridge, please contact our friendly team at our head office in Romford.